The 21st of March! Wow. That’s a long time to go without writing a blog post. I hope you are all well?
Over the past 6 weeks, a lot has been happening. It has been a time of growth, of learning, of extremely busy diaries…but not of temples. I think we can say that the “body is a temple” challenge bit the dust a while back. I guess the incentive is not strong enough – whilst I fully believe in eating well, I know there is room for chocolate in my diet. There just is. I feel it is time to simply accept that as even Frank Forencich eats cake – I know, I saw him! There’s no room for McDonalds, mind, and there never will be – but mini eggs may feature.
On balance, I do believe in the 80/20 rule – if you eat good, wholesome food 80% of the time, you can afford to be somewhat less disciplined the other 20%. Food is part of the enjoyment of life, it’s a sensual pleasure as well as a survival necessity – we’ve just got to be careful not to get addicted to any of it, particularly sugar. And that said, the 80/20 rule does feature in as an integral part of several well respected weight loss plans – the 20% is often known as a cheat day, where you allow yourself a less disciplined day of eating as a method of shocking your metabolism into a faster pace and to offset the psychological strain of holding yourself strictly to an eating plan. Of course, this cheat day should not be seen as a chance to binge…!
So back to the exuberance challenges and this time it’s a biggie. During April I went to the Fit Pro Spring Convention, which is a 3-day learning-fest for fitness professionals. It’s the third year I’ve been and I work my passage at the Convention, i.e. I don a blue “Event Staff” t-shirt and for half of each day I check the paying delegates into their lectures, support the lecturers, direct people to their venues etc, in return for attending the other half of the day as a delegate myself. So from April 9-11, 8ish till 6:30ish each day, I was listening to the wisdom of the icons in our industry, the likes of Annette Lang, Bobby Cappuccio and Scott Hopson. I learnt a lot, as I always do. This year though was slightly different, in that I was stationed on the lecture rooms rather than the netball and badminton centre like I have been the previous two years. Which means that instead of lugging Bosus (Bosi? ;0>) around, blowing up swiss balls and packing and unpacking hundreds of mini dumbbells (hours of fun), I was rubbing shoulders with lecturers I’ve admired since I was a rookie PT. Strengthening my resolve to be like them one day. To be an author, international speaker and role model for other rookies in our industry as well as a phenomenal coach/trainer for those that I coach and train. The Fit Pro Spring Convention is where dreams are born.
So my new challenge is to get to work on that. Stage one: to read one professional/personal development book a week, and to begin writing my own book. How exciting!! The book of this week is “It’s the thought that counts” by David Hamilton, a recommendation from my best friend and, I can already say with conviction, a fascinating read. I will report back in due course…
Till then, sleep well!